Some of my colleagues asked me about the approaches I use to manage my time. They used well-known words like “Time Management”. So let me share my personal vision on time management.
Before I put here my tips and suggestions let me start with the most important question:
Why do I need any kind of Time Management?
To answer let’s rephrase it: Why do I need to manage the time I have? Since the management of time itself does make sense without activities, let’s rephrase it again: Why do I need to arrange the time I spend on activities?
After analyzing myself I’ve found the following amazing and really simple answer. Don’t forget that it’s my personal answer, but probably, it can be used by you:
I need to manage (perform/reject/delay) my activities in time to fill my life with HAPPINESS.
I think this sentence can be selected as the general goal of the whole Time Management.
The big point I’ve realized:
Personal HAPPINESS is the key criteria of management of time. Not performance, not even successfull results.
So the key question can be answered by “Time Management” looks like this:
How to arrange all activities of my day/week/life to be HAPPY
You can figure out your own question if you’ll translate what HAPPINESS means for you.
Happiness for me is:
- I want to have fun while doing my activities: I want to feel the energy, interest while performing the activity. I want to do it without stress.
- I want to see some valuable results of my activities.
- I want to grow, get new experience while performing my activities.
- I want to effectively complete my activities to have time for new activities which will bring me new experience and happiness.
- Life should be balanced. I want to have a life where my work, personal life, and future goals will be in balance.
Also, I’ve realized another important point:
In the context of day/week/life, we have a limited resource – Time. But if we’re speaking about Time Management and Happiness
TIME is not the only resource we need to manage!
We need also manage our emotional ENERGY.
Such kind of Energy is a resource for proactivity, entusiasm, interest, creativity etc. Without these attributes, time and happiness does make sense.
My key idea is that energy has a close connection with the feeling of happiness.
To continue, let me mention some important properties of the Energy I see:
- Activities can not only consume our energy but produce – fill us with energy
- Performing an activity without energy makes us fill unhappy.
- Performing of activity with Energy makes us happier.
- Results of the activity are more valuable if we spend more energy on doing it
- People trust us more if they fill our energy and our actions equipped by emotions.
As a result, understanding of Time Management is hidden in the answer to the question:
How can I arrange my activities in time to do them with maximum energy in a long term?
I’ve added “in the long term” because we need to stay fulfilled by energy not only one day but the whole life. In another case, it will be a way of emotional burnout.
Now when the question is defined I want to describe my answer. But let me do in another post. =)