What does come to mind if you need to asses your colleague? What areas do you usually measure?
Let me mention some of them:
- Knowledge in the technical area
- Professional approaches
- Ability to work in the team
During my practice, I’ve detected one more important option.
But let me describe the situation I’ve met:
Due to some reasons, it was no daily stand-ups on the project. One of my team members worked for a long time on the task. The task was quite complex with different hidden stones inside.
The problem was that he provided his status only on my request. Results were hard to check and he always shifted the deadlines. As a result, after a month of work, when it was an internal assessment it was hard to evaluate his efforts and skills. He was like an invisible man for me. It was not clear how professional he is.
Another colleague was confused as well. She said a great phrase:
He has low VISIBILITY.
Yep. That is the perfect word! I’m using it now for some set of professional approaches.
After thinking let me summarize what I mean under Visibility:
Visibility is the ability of a person to provide timely and tangible information about his current work results.
Tangible means that the results can be easily checked: it could be a pull request, test case, user story, demonstration, charts, video recording, report, email etc.
Note that results of work can include even the list of blockers provided by email.
Problems we meet are the results of our work as well.
Timely means not right before the deadline but provided in an iterative way, right after receiving any tangible achievement.
What is the profit from visibility?
For the manager and the whole team I see the following points:
- It makes it easy to check actual results and plan the future work and deliverables
- It reduces delays in development and unexpected problems and results at all
- It makes possible timely handling of the problems
- The results are visible for the team and the customer
- It avoids unpleased moments during work result assessment
For the employee itself:
- It works as self-marketing. If your positive results are visible for management it increases your karma
salary: your achievements will be not ignored and will be used during the assessment procedure.
- If you speak openly about your problems, it’s a big chance that your team will help you to resolve them
- If you make your work results tangible it means that they became better quality
- It avoids unpleased surprises during your work assessment
Why Visibility is so important? Let’s imagine that the profits from above are revoked.
In the context of the situation from above, I’ve made additional conclusions:
Daily standup increases the visibility for the whole team. Avoiding this practice badly reflected on each team member.
The manager should describe to the team how to become visible. Keep it in mind that visibility is not usual for some people.
High visibility is a part of high professionalism!