As I wrote in the post about Communication Channels:
A little informality in communication makes it more humane and open.
It means more effective and positive.
For such purpose, I’ve used the solution from mass media, marketing, and sports clubs:
Each team selects their own Mascot – some well-known character(s) from comics or movies who brings luck. Examples: Simpsons, Superman, Transformers, Star Wars etc.
Then the team uses it in different places across the project:
- We add related images in emails.
- We add related images in slides and presentations. Even in demonstrations to the customer 😉
- We put related memes in chats
- We use mascot avatars in messengers
- We give related presents like small figures or T-Shirts for project success or for some achievements
- We’re using the mascot during hackathons or team events
Let me share an example of “Welcome On Board” email on our project and let’s imagine it just without the image:
It’s easy and not serious, but it unites the team and makes it really unique.
Side note: it’s nice if the team selected a mascot which includes group of characters like Simpsons or M&M’s. In this case, each team member can find something special for himself.
Don’t hesitate to be funny!
Humor makes us human!